Question on Saxony / Goldammer research

Hi Jean,If you phonetically spell (in English), the German pronunciation of "Bayern", you will get Biern.Bobbi --- On Wed 12/06, Shelby Jean Morris < jmuffy@sbcglobal.net > wrote:From: Shelby Jean Morris [mailto: jmuffy@sbcglobal.net]To: genealogy.net-users-en@genealogy.netDate: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 19:07:48 -0800 (PST)Subject: Re: [GEN-EN] Question on Saxony / Goldammer researchInstead of Biehn, it is Biern. So, where do I go from here. Any suggestions will be helpful.Christine Mathis-Huber wrote: Sorry Jean,I think you have to do a little bit more. Do you have the marriagecertificate ? Do you have the death certificate ? Immigration ?Naturilization papers ? All this papers should tell something - hopefullythe place of birth. Bavaria (english translation of Bayern) or Baden or ??is really not enough to start a research. Biehn is nothing I would know.Neuberger (the german way of writing Newberger) in the german phonebook have1287 entries - spread all over Germany
- absolutly to much for anysuggestion.Sauer - over 17.000 in the German phonebook.I myself have Sauer (Saur) ancestors - but from Rhineland.I don`t see any chance to help, as I canot see where to begin.Greetings from Bavaria (Bayern)Christine-----Ursprungliche Nachricht-----Von: genealogy.net-users-en-bounces@genealogy.net[mailto:genealogy.net-users-en-bounces@genealogy.net]Im Auftrag vonShelby Jean MorrisGesendet: Mittwoch, 6. Dezember 2006 02:06An: Genealogy.net-users-enBetreff: Re: [GEN-EN] Question on Saxony / Goldammer researchChristine,My ggrandparents came from Germany, somewhere around Baden, Bavaria,Bayern or Biehn are all listed on the Census'. My ggrandfather came overabout 1853 with ??? His name was George Sauer. My ggrandmother wasBarbara Newberger, & her brother Gustav came together on the Zurich fromLeHavre. They arrived Castle Garden July 2, 1857. She was about 20 & herbrother was 24. I don't know if they knew each other over there or not. Onthe1880
& 1890 Indiana census, they say they were born in Bayern. My fatheralways said they were from Bavaria. The only thing I am positive about theirlives in Germany is that they were Catholic.How do I find out the info I need & where do I go to get it. I feel like Ihave hit a brick wall. Can you help me or find me someone who can?Jean Morris