Hello All,

My name is Anna Maria van Nifterick Post. I am a new member and I am interested in the family name POST and other family members from Westphalia in general and Emsland in particular.

The oldest documented family member I found is Josef POST, born abt 1762 in Haselünne, married to Anna Elisabeth ADRIANA from Westfalen (?), 29 May 1791 In Schiedam, The Netherlands.

In „Hauserverzeichnis der Stadt Haselünne“, I found out that one of the inhabitants was a man named Johann POST who was born abt 1691. He was probably the father of Joseph POST, born abt 1730. This Joseph had three sons: Josephus (*abt 1762), Joannes Gerhardus (abt 1765) and Carl ( abt 1777). He probably had another son, Nicolaus and a daughter, Anna Maria Elisabeth. I assume that Josephus is the same person as the first Josef Post, my ancestor.

Could anyone confirm this assumption? Thank you very much in advance.

Mit herzlichen Grüßen,

Anna

Other German family names a.o.:
Pütter (Westerkappeln)
Kleiss (Ottmars)
Dreckman (Ottmars)
Lemmers (Tüddern)
Bolte (Osnabrück)

Hallo Anna,

im Bevölkerungs- und Kommunikantenregister der Stadt Haselünne (Hrsg. v. Dr. Reinhard Cloppenburg) von 1749 findet sich unter der Rubrik „Status Animarum der Garnison Haselünne ein Joseph Post, eques (also Reiter, Kavallerist), 23 Jahre alt. Dies dürfte ihr Joseph sein. Im Gleichen Verzeichnis gibt es noch einen anderen „eques“ Johann Post, 32 Jahre alt. Ob einer von ihnen (oder beide) Kinder von Johann Post und Hester sind, vermag ich nicht zu sagen. Als Soldaten können sie auch von woanders stammen und in Haselünne nur stationiert gewesen sein. Haben Sie die Kirchenbücher schon konsultiert? Dort wird zumindest bei der Hochzeit des Joseph Post (vor 1762) angegeben sein, von wo er stammte und wie seine Frau hieß. Die Kirchenbücher (1640-1875) befinden sich auf Mikrofilm im Bistumsarchiv in Osnabrück und in der Familienforschungsstelle in Meppen.

Viele Grüße

Bernd Jansen

Hallo Bernd,

Erstens: ich möchte mich entschüldigen für mein deutsch… lesen ist prima für mich, aber schreiben kann ich kaum besser als ein 4-jährige. Englisch ist einfacher für mich also, die Reste dieses E-mails geht in englisch, nochmals: bitte entschüldige dafür.

Thank you very much for your prompt reaction. No, I have never been to Haselünne of Osnabrück; I started my research only two years ago. Up to now I found most information on the Internet, and I really had no clue as where to find these church books you mentioned. Over the centuries, Haselünne seems to have changed bishoprics (Münster, Osnabrück) and I never found out whether this town is in Westphalia, Lower Saxony, Münsterland, Emsland, county Bentheim, Kreis Lingen, Kreis Meppen or whatever. Until I received your mail I was completely in the dark on this confusing subject, which is really the reason why I didnot visit any of the german archives.

Post is my maiden name and Joseph Post (the one who was born in 1762 in Haselünne) was my „Altvater“. I have copies of some of his children’s marriage certificates and some Haselünne birth certificates from the Schiedam municipal archive. If you are interested in any of these copies for your own investigation, please don’t hesitate to ask me and I shall send them as an attachment over the mail.

By the way, do you happen to know if a copy of Dr. Cloppenburg’s book is available for reading in one of the archives (Meppen, Osnabrück)? Or in any other place? I tried googling the title but without any success.

Anyway, your mail inspired me to take a few days off and travel to Meppen (and maybe Osnabrück) this summer!

Thanks again,

Kind regards / met vriendelijke groeten / mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Anna.

Hallo Anna,

Betreff: Re: [Emsland-Bentheim-L] Post Haselünne

[...]

Erstens: ich möchte mich entschüldigen für mein deutsch...
lesen ist prima für mich, aber schreiben kann ich kaum besser
als ein 4-jährige. Englisch ist einfacher für mich also,
die Reste dieses E-mails geht in englisch, nochmals: bitte entschüldige dafür.

kein Problem! Mir geht es ähnlic, da mein "Schulenglisch" einige Jahre zurück
liegt. :wink:

[...] I never found out whether this town is in Westphalia, Lower Saxony,
Münsterland, Emsland, county Bentheim, Kreis Lingen, Kreis Meppen or whatever.

Kennst Du schon das GOV (Genealogisches Ortsverzeichnis) von dem Verein für
Computergenealogie?
Für Haselünne ist es die URL
<http://gov.genealogy.net/ShowObjectSimple.do?id=HASNNEJO32RQ&gt;
Von dort gibt es einen Link z. B. zu Mulitmap oder Mapquest, über die Du sehr
schön die Lages des Ortes sehen kannst.

[...]

Post is my maiden name and Joseph Post (the one who was born in 1762 in

Haselünne)

was my "Altvater".

BTW: Kennst Du Verjean A. Post? Sie hat 1980 in Wisconsin Steven P. Lunenschloss
geheiratet.
Seid Ihr vielleicht auch verwandt?

[...]

Viele Grüße / Best regards

Hans-Joachim (Lünenschloß)

Hallo Anna,

das Buch von Dr. Cloppenburg steht sowohl im Osnabrücker Bistumsarchiv als auch in der Familienforschungsstelle in Meppen. Der genaue Titel ist: „Emsländische Landschaft (Hrsg.): Status Animarum 1749 in den Gerichten Meppen, Haren und Haselünne. Bearbeitet von Norbert Tandecki und Reinhard Cloppenburg. Sögel 1995. Band 3, Teilband 1.“

Öffnungszeiten etc. für die Familienforschungsstelle in Meppen finden sich auf der Homepage: http://www.kgverband-meppen.de/familienforschung.html

Da ich selber keine Vorfahren in Haselünne habe und auch nicht von den Post abstamme brauche ich im Moment keine Kopien der Unterlagen aus Schiedam, auf jeden Fall aber herzlichen Dank für den Vorschlag.

Viele Grüße

Bernd Josef Jansen

www.berndjosefjansen.de

Nifterick schreef:

Hallo Bernd,

Erstens: ich möchte mich entschüldigen für mein deutsch… lesen ist prima für mich, aber schreiben kann ich kaum besser als ein 4-jährige. Englisch ist einfacher für mich also, die Reste dieses E-mails geht in englisch, nochmals: bitte entschüldige dafür.

Thank you very much for your prompt reaction. No, I have never been to Haselünne of Osnabrück; I started my research only two years ago. Up to now I found most information on the Internet, and I really had no clue as where to find these church books you mentioned. Over the centuries, Haselünne seems to have changed bishoprics (Münster, Osnabrück) and I never found out whether this town is in Westphalia, Lower Saxony, Münsterland, Emsland, county Bentheim, Kreis Lingen, Kreis Meppen or whatever. Until I received your mail I was completely in the dark on this confusing subject, which is really the reason why I didnot visit any of the german archives.

Post is my maiden name and Joseph Post (the one who was born in 1762 in Haselünne) was my „Altvater“. I have copies of some of his children’s marriage certificates and some Haselünne birth certificates from the Schiedam municipal archive. If you are interested in any of these copies for your own investigation, please don’t hesitate to ask me and I shall send them as an attachment over the mail.

By the way, do you happen to know if a copy of Dr. Cloppenburg’s book is available for reading in one of the archives (Meppen, Osnabrück)? Or in any other place? I tried googling the title but without any success.

Anyway, your mail inspired me to take a few days off and travel to Meppen (and maybe Osnabrück) this summer!

Thanks again,

Kind regards / met vriendelijke groeten / mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Anna.

Beste Anna

Ook in Meppen, in het „Hospitali civium“ woonde in 1749 een Post, volgens de uitgave van Dr. Cloppenburg. Het betreft:
Henricus Post, auriga (voerman) 34
uxor ejudem Helena (zijn vrouw) 31
mater Maria (moeder) 58

Mogelijk is er een verwantschap, want de naam Post komt verder niet voor.

Bernd, Johannes
Thanks for your information, I think it might be very helpful!
Cheers,
Anna

Hallo Anna,

in Salzbergen (auch im Emsland, ca. 50km von Haselünne) gibt es heute einen Dr. Post, ein sehr netter und hilfsbereiter Mann. Schreib ihm doch mal, vielleicht hat er ja etwas mit Haselünne zu tun.

Post A. Dr.med. Facharzt für Allgemeinmedizin

Hallo Heike,
Vielen Dank, mach ich!
Anna