Gerd Moennich of Iowa & Nebraska

A number of recent emails mention Gerd Moennich, an immigrant from Oldenburg to Iowa, who moved eventually to Nebraska, where he died.

Those who are working on this family should contact Manfred Moenning, Parkstr 56, 27798 Hude/Oldenburg, Germany. Manfred has a great deal of information on this family and would be most happy to share it with anyone interested. Unfortunately, he does not have email, and speaks only German, so Americans who write in English should allow him time to get their letters translated, and respond via snailmail. He is a jewel, and has helped many of us unravel families from the Hude area.

Secondly, there is an account of the immgration of Gerd Maas on line, which gives considerable information about Gerd Moennich as well. It can be accessed at http//www/rootsweb.com/~iaiowa/maas1.html. Follow all the links for a full story of this wave of immigration, which is a sad story, costing many lives.

I have a number of items which may be of interest to those studying this family, including items from various Nebraska county histories and biographies of Gerd & Anna Moenich and their children, which I would be glad to share with interested persons.

Finally the website www.routes.de should be checked carefully. In 2002 Dr. Wolfgang Grams, director of the organization Route to Roots Tours which sponsors this site, led a tour of 19 German travelers (including Manfred Moenning, who has relatives in the area) to the Scribner/Uehling/Hooper area, so I should think he would have information on this family on his site.

Hugo Schroeder