FN Waskeforth / Waschefort

Biography: From HISTORY EFFINGHAM COUNTY, Illinois. - EDITED BY WILLIAM
HENRY PERRIN - CHICAGO, O. L. BASKIN &, HISTORICAL PUBLISHERS, Lakeside
Building. 1883. Page 146

JOHN F. WASCHEFORT (deceased), was born in Essen, amt Cloppenburg,
Oldenburg , Germany. He emigrated to America in 1832. After prospecting for
some months over various parts of Ohio, he finally located at Cincinnati. He
devoted himself to learning the trade of rope and twine making, and in
1835, formed a partnership with John H. Hakman and George Venneman, for the
purpose of manufacturing rope and cordage.

Soon this young firm began to prosper, their business assuming larger
proportions from day to day. A few years of success at Cincinnati induced them
to establish two branch houses; one at Evansville, Ind., under the
management of George Venneman, which, in addition to a well-selected stock of
ropes and twines, had a large stock of groceries added, which, in a few years
after its establishment, ranked as one of the largest jobbing houses of that
city.

The other house was established at Teutopolis, Ill., under the control of
J. F. Waschefort. The original partnership, formed in 1835, continued
until 1857, when the same was dissolved by mutual consent.

During the existence of this partnership, which continued during twenty-two
years, Mr. Hakman managed the Cincinnati house, Mr. Venneman the
Evansville branch, and Mr. Waschefort the one at Teutopolis. At the final
dissolution and in the division of property, each partner retained the business
under his respective management.

To the Teutopolis house Mr. W. lent all his energy and business ability,
starting with a small stock of goods usually kept in country stores, he
soon enlarged the same and made it the trading place of the surrounding
country. He soon added the pork packing business, making a market for fat hogs.
The product was in those early days transported by wagon to Evansville and
St. Louis, finding a market at New Orleans.

In 1856, he built at Teutopolis a large steam flouring mill, to which he
added a complete saw-mill. In 1860, he opened a branch store at Effingham,
that city having been made the county seat. All these various enterprises,
which tended so much to develop this neighborhood, were kept under his
immediate supervisons up to the time of death, which occurred in January, 1879,
he then being sixty-eight years of age.

He was of a quiet and reserved disposition, assisted the needy, and to all
who were willing to work he extended a helping hand. Many remember him as
having received through his generous assistance their first start in life.
His wife, Mary, to whom he was married in 1839, was a noble-hearted lady.
She died in January, 1873.

They have four children now living—two daughters residing at Cincinnati,
one daughter lives at Teutopolis, the wife of Dr. H. Eversman; and an only
son, Ferdinand, who succeeded his father's business at the old homestead.
Mr. W., being one of the original organizers of the colony of Germans who
settled at Teutopolis, was intimately associated with its development and
progress. All public enterprises received from him substantial support and
aid. Their fine brick church, large college for higher education, a fine
sisters' academy and parochial school attest the regard he paid to education
in that small village.

Ronald J Repking
Flossmoor, Illinois

In a message dated 4/6/14 7:45:22 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
tanja.bals@ewetel.net writes:

Hallo,

vielleicht kann jemand hier in der Liste näheres dazu sagen:

Ich habe Einträge mit dem Namen Waskeforth sowie Waschefort aus
Warrenstädt, später dann Waschefort Stapelfeld. Ich vermute, dass es
sich um die gleiche Familie handelt und aus Waskeforth Waschefort wurde.

Oder liege ich vielleicht falsch?

Schöne Grüße
Tanja (Bals)
Oldenburg-L mailing list
Oldenburg-L@genealogy.net
http://list.genealogy.net/mm/listinfo/oldenburg-l