Damme Gestorben und Begraben - Wendel?

Hallo -

Kann mir bitte jemand sagen, was "Wendel" in diesem Eintrag für Christopher
Strieker vom 17. Dezember 1810 bedeutet? Ich weiß, dass er Schmidt gennant,
aber ich weiß nicht, was "Schmidts Wendel" ist.

https://data.matricula-online.eu/en/deutschland/vechta/damme-st-viktor/KB11/?pg=96

Vielen Dank

Elizabeth Besozzi

"Wendel" ist ein Vorname. Der Verstorbene wurde also im täglichen Leben Schmidts Wendel bzw. Wendel Schmidt genannt. Bei Übernahme von Höfen, etwa durch Einheirat, blieb häufig der Familienname des Hofvorgängers (auch wenn dieser bereits vor Generationen Gültigkeit hatte) als Hofname und als neuer Familienname erhalten.
In meiner Familie wurde die letzte Hofinhaberin 1921 noch Schmeers Meta genannt, obwohl der letzte Schmeers / Schmidt im Dreißigjährigen Krieg dort lebte.
Eine Klarheit über die Zusammenhänge lässt sich nur durch eine genaue Familien- und Hofforschung verschaffen.
Gruß
Jürgen

Hmm. Well, I definitely don't see the "D" in Wendel, nor the "R" in Werneke. In that record it looks like Weneken. Could be Wineken but I don't see a dot floating anywhere over the "i".
So I wonder, is this a hypenated surname, a given name, a location (village near or section of Damme) or maybe even an occupation?
By the way, a sister of one of my ancestors married into the Strieker family in Damme, but I don't have this Christopher in my records unfortunately.
I've have spent probably a hundred hour (at least) trying to figure out the Damme records, and am still scratching my head over some of it. I empathize with your situation.If anyone can direct me to any kind of a Damme familienbuch, I'd be forever grateful.
Linda On Friday, May 22, 2020, 12:14:35 PM CDT, <jew.meyer@online.de> wrote:

"Wendel" ist ein Vorname. Der Verstorbene wurde also im täglichen Leben Schmidts Wendel bzw. Wendel Schmidt genannt. Bei Übernahme von Höfen, etwa durch Einheirat, blieb häufig der Familienname des Hofvorgängers (auch wenn dieser bereits vor Generationen Gültigkeit hatte) als Hofname und als neuer Familienname erhalten.
In meiner Familie wurde die letzte Hofinhaberin 1921 noch Schmeers Meta genannt, obwohl der letzte Schmeers / Schmidt im Dreißigjährigen Krieg dort lebte.
Eine Klarheit über die Zusammenhänge lässt sich nur durch eine genaue Familien- und Hofforschung verschaffen.
Gruß
Jürgen

HI Linda - I really appreciate your input. I am hoping that someone from
the Damme area on the mail list will recognize the word. I hate not
knowing any word !

About 3/4 of my ancestors are from this area and I will probably spend most
of the rest of my life (which will hopefully be many more years !) on
tracking them all down. Three of my main family branches are from Damme,
and they all intermarried at some point and all have the same names, as I
am sure you have found ! (there must be two dozen different Johan Henrich
Striekers). I am trying to keep up with loading them onto Ancestry and
FamilySearch as well as my own software so maybe I will run across yours
somewhere ! I was supposed to be in that part of Germany this week to
visit some sites, but the coronavirus has derailed that plan : ( I
feel lucky to be able to access so many records on-line.

Many thanks

Liz