Subject: Re: Johann Otzelberger im US-Civil War?

Hallo liebe Beatrix, hallo liebe Corinne,

vielen Dank, dass Ihr mir helfen wollt !

Es gibt viele "trees" in ancestry, welche die Cousine meines Ur-Ur-Opa's Matthäus Lindenberger
(* Heroldsbach 08.08.1809, + Heroldsbach 04.12.1866), nämlich
Sabina Lindenberger (* Heroldsbach 03.07.1818, + Waukesha, WI (Wisconsin) 13.10.1899) und ihren
Ehemann Johann Otzelberger (* Oesdorf 13.08.1814, + Fussville, Waukesha, WI / USA 05.04.1898),
sowie deren Kinder und weitere Nachfahren beinhalten !
Er wanderte im Juni 1854 in die USA aus. Seine Frau Sabina Lindenberger kam im Juli oder August 1854
zusammen mit den Kindern nach.

Von ihren Kindern kommt altersmäßig nur ein Sohn in Frage im US-Bürgerkrieg gekämpft zu heben:
Johann Otzelberger (* Heroldsbach 29.11.1844, + Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin, USA 19.08.1928).
Und nach diesem suche ich.

Natürlich gibt es in ancestry.de auch Volkszählungsdaten:
Er lebte sowohl 1870, als auch 1880 in Menomonee, Waukesha, Wisconsin, United States.

Hoffentlich findet Ihr etwas raus !
:slight_smile:

Viele Grüße
Christian (Lindenberger)

Hallo Christian:

First of all I searched for "Otzelberger" in the 1860 US Census but found no results.

I searched for any evidence that "your" Johann/John Otzelberger served in the Civil War - kein Erfolg. Actually, I did not find any evidence that anyone named Otzelberger served in the Union Army during the Civil War. I also did not find anyone named Otzelberger listed among sailors in the Federal Navy. It seems very unlikely that he would have served in the Confederate Army or Navy.

If John Otzelberger did serve it would most likely have been in a Wisconsin regiment. Here are some links if you want to research further:

Search For Soldiers - The Civil War (U.S. National Park Service)

Wisconsin - About Our Civil War Roster and Compiled Civil War Service Records | Wisconsin Historical Society

Wisconsin volunteers, War of the Rebellion, 1861-1865 : arranged alphabetically. :: Wisconsin in the Civil War

If you think there might have been a misspelling of the name, you can search the name variants in the third link. If you want to search through the rosters of individual regiments you can do that also; I think you can find those in the second link. It would be best to find out first what regiments were organized around Milwaukee or in Waukesha County as those would be the most probable candidates.

Good luck and friendly greetings from Ohio.

Bill (Roos)

you ca find it here under this number
maried second time

http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/6280033/person/74710023