Search for birth mother

I need help from anyone . Have had little aid from Consulates etc.
My late husband and I adopted 18 month old twin boys in 1961 while stationed in Berlin, Germany with the USA Army. The boys and I want to send information to their birth mother if that is possible and if she would want that . We do not know if she still lives.

The boys, now 46 years old, have grown into wonderful men and we would like for their mother to know that they are safe, happy, and successful.

Here is all the information I have to help in this search:
            Ingeborg Brauer nee Wacholz
            Last known address (1961): 2 Galvanistrasse, Berlin-Charlottenburg, Germany
            Mother of twin boys: Mario Werner Wacholz and Norbert Claus Wacholz
                                                 Born: 11 February 1960, Berlin
                                                 Baptized: 30 March 1960 at Evangelical Epiphanien Parish, Berlin-Charlottenburg

All help you can give in this search will be greatly appreciated.
I would also be thankful for an acknowledgement of this request -I am a novice with the computer and am not sure this is being done properly.

Yours truly,
Marjorie Snow Weaver Rew (email: captlee@net-magic.net)

I had a cousin that worked at a Lutheran home for children in that area, but she is no longer alive, and I am not in contact at this time with anyone from that area.
Maria

Hi Marjorie,

there are 4 Ingeborg Brauer with a phone listed in Berlin. The closest one lives aprox 2 miles from Galvanistrasse.
Brauer Ingeborg
Mehlitzstr. 1
10715 Berlin
Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf
source: www.dasoertliche.de
I know this is a far shot, but may be worth a try.

Good luck
Andreas

marjorie rew schrieb:

Hi. I am hoping that someone here can help me with this family, my brick wall. My husband's family is interested to know if we can find siblings for their immigrant ancestor. I have had no luck in this persuit. Below is what I do know. .

Christian Friedrich Wilhelm KOEHLER / KOHLER, born 22 Sept 1837 in the Melzow / Klinkow area of Brandenburg, Prussia (now Germany) was my husband's great-grandfather. After many years of searching, we have found that he emigrated, in 1863, from Brandenburg, Prussia, to the United States. From his marriage record, we know his parents' names, but we have yet to locate any siblings or a ship's manifest listing telling exactly when, or with whom, he sailed.

Christian's parents were Christian KOHLER and Maria BRAND.
We've no dates, as yet, for 'father' Christian.
However, we do know that Maria (BRAND) KOHLER died before 11 Nov 1868.
'Son' Christian's wife was another immigrant, Christiane Sophia Dorothea NEUMANN / NIEMANN (1842-1918).

Christian and "Sophia" married on 11 Nov 1868 in Wolcottsville, Niagara County, New York,
after Christian's Army service as a Pvt in Co. A, US 10th Infantry (Jan 1865 - Jan 1868).

Christian and Sophia migrated to Macon County, Missouri, where they spent the rest of their lives. He died in 1906. She, in 1918. They are buried in the town of Macon. And, just for reference, Christian's surname has been found (as one might expect) with various different spellings. In fact, in the 1890 Veterans' Census, it is spelled COLER.

I have, thanks to the diligence of my 85 year old sister-in-law, much to share concerning the descendants of Christian and Sophia. If you connect to this family, or have any further information and/or suggestions, please let me hear from you.

Leslie (Bridges) Kohler

The boys, now 46 years old, have grown into wonderful men and we would like
for their mother to know that they are safe, happy, and successful.

Here is all the information I have to help in this search:
            Ingeborg Brauer nee Wacholz
            Last known address (1961): 2 Galvanistrasse,
Berlin-Charlottenburg, Germany
            Mother of twin boys: Mario Werner Wacholz and Norbert Claus
Wacholz
                                                 Born: 11 February 1960,
Berlin
                                                 Baptized: 30 March 1960 at
Evangelical Epiphanien Parish, Berlin-Charlottenburg

If you haven't applied for Christian's pension record you might consider that. It might list where and when he was christened and from that you will probably be able to find the siblings
Dianne.
Leslie Kohler wrote:

Perhaps Christening records are another answer for this question too. If this couple had more children then they might also have been Christened at the church listed below and maybe that could be a way of tracking down the parents. I have learned that Christening records hold alot of keys in doing research.
Dianne
Christine Mathis-Huber wrote:

Hi Leslie,

Did you have the immigration information for Dorothea Neumann?

Also, what was the source which indicated Christian Koehler emigrated from Melzow in 1863?

Ship Name: steamer "America"
2,619 gross tonnage
Master of Ship: G. Ernst
Total Passengers: approx. 767

Name: Dorothea Neumann, age 27 yrs. old
Estimated Birth Year: approx. 1840
Place of Origin: Germany
Port of Departure: Bremen, Germany
and Southampton, England
Port of Arrival: New York
Arrival Date: 28 September 1867
Destination: USA

Microfilm Roll: M237_286 / List No. 1028
National Archives and Records Admin.
Maryland and Washington, D.C.

Regards,

Kathleen

I appreciate the help, Kathleen. We had not even begun to work on "Sophia's" family, other than we know about her parents and one sibling. We were lucky enough to finally find Christian's record of emigration in the Brandenburg Emigration Records, which are on line through Ancestry.com.

Leslie

Thanks for the suggestion, Dianne. We have had Christian's pension,
and military, records for quite some time. Although they have given us
some hints, they have not yielded information to where we have yet
been able to find any siblings. We're also not sure whether or not his
parents emigrated to the USA.

Leslie

Hi again Leslie,

If you feel you've exhausted all of the free and fee
Passenger Lists on the Internet, have you considered
contacting the National Archives? At least you have
the Brandenburg Record information you can forward to
them to use as a guide.

I checked http://stevemorse.org "one-step" web pages
and in New York alone, during year 1863 there were a
total of 1,273 ships which came into that port. There
are so many other ports besides that as well.

Here is their information:

Immigration Records; Ship Passenger Arrival Records ~

http://www.archives.gov/genealogy/immigration/passenger-arrival.html

"Order copies of passenger arrival records using the
Order Online! system, or with NATF Form 81".

You can also obtain the NATF Form 81 by writing to:
National Archives and Records Administration
Attn: NWCTB
700 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20408-0001

Good luck! I know it can be so frustrating.

Kathleen