Re translation

Dear Carol,
Thanks for your reply.
I have never used a translation service, but freetranslation sounds as if it
would be the better one to use. I will give your suggestion a try.
Valera

Valera,
Yes, but I am still considering the possibility of a translation program just because I still get stilted translations... grammar and expressions being so different. And sometimes on the lists I still cannot tell what they are saying and wonder if I respond to something if I have actually missed entirely what they are talking about. I must stay that people have been so warm and friendly!
The stilted translations can be helpful in some ways also... I changed my name on the signature because my name: Carol in German is always translated "lied" which means "song". That is the meaning of my name but names are not generally translated. By adding an e, Carole, which is the German form I no longer have this problem. My husband alerted me to this because he visited his German relatives after years of correspondence. His name is Richard but his parents called him "Dick". When he went to visit relatives the first thing they said to him was "You are not fat why do they call you "Dick"?... Dick means "thick" in German and that evidently is the expression for "fat"! So you see getting the literal translation may not help with understanding... but it does help us to adjust ourselves to a better cultural understanding.
I am using translation.com for now. And because we have family in Germany I feel thrilled to think that I can actually write them a letter. I did try with freetranslation, we will see how it does...
Let me know what you think and if I get around to actually buying a program I will let you know about how that works... life being what it is I would not be getting anything expensive...
I wish you much success in your participation on the lists...
Carole Jesse
familyjesse@sbcglobal.net

VALERAELIZ@cs.com wrote:Dear Carol,
Thanks for your reply.
I have never used a translation service, but freetranslation sounds as if it
would be the better one to use. I will give your suggestion a try.
Valera