Kl. Sextro-LÜBKE in Langwege near Dinklage

Hello,

Please excuse my use of English. My German is very bad.

I am trying to understand the origin of the Lübke part of the kl. Sextro-Lübke family name.

The family was part of the farming community of Langwege (II) near the town of Dinklage in Oldenburg .

Catholic church records from Dinklage in the 1800's use "kl. Sextro vulgo Lübke" for the family.
Johan Herman kl. Sextro vulgo Lübke (1774-1855) and his son Johan Heinrich kl. Sextro vulgo Lübke (1810-1873) were the first people I found in the records with the Lübke part of the name.

I know these extra names were used to tell families with similar names apart but - why was Lübke chosen? Why was it important to the family?

An aunt said that Lübke was the name of a farm. Is that true?? Is it a part of Langwege?

Does anyone on the list know something that might help me understand the Lübke part of the name?

Franz Josef kl. Sextro-Lübke (1881-1946) came to America from Langwege in 1905. He farmed in the small town of Marysville in the state of Kansas. His name changed to Francis Joseph Luebcke and all his descendants use that name.

Thank You for your help in figuring out why my name is "Lübke". :-))

Linda Luebcke

I'm only speculating:
However, sometimes a family took the mother's family name, especially if she
brought the farm into the family. I don't know if that is valid in
Oldenburg, but it certainly is in Ostfriesland just next door.
Gene

It is true in Oldenburg also. I have had this happen numerous times in my Oldenburg family and it makes tracing ancestry somewhat more difficult (but not impossible, fortunately). David Nearon

Hello Linda,
here one more confusing, because the parents of Johan Herman are
Johann Heinrich Burwinkel genannt(called) kl.Sextro and Anna Elisabeth Schulte (say Heitmann book).
I will ask an expert for Dinklage.
Wait and see,
Werner Honkomp

Linda, I guess you know what vulgo means, right? If not, here's a
quick review. I would venture a bet that someone named 'kleine Sextro'
moved over to the Lügke farm and now became known as Lübke. Usually
this is a marriage of a widow or heiress who owned/lived on the Lübke
place. Sometimes the names were then hyphenated for a while but
usually only if the old name also had some significance in the area
and was meant to be saved. Eventually though, the farm place name
would win out as these names had been held for many decades or even
centuries.