[Genealogy.net-users-en] Re: Literaturdatenbank der DAGV AUE family

Hello List Members,

I am searching for my great-grandfather Engelbert AUE. Here is what I have gathered in 40+ years:

Engelbert AUE b Nov 1810 in 'Hannover'. I think it must be Kingdom of Hannover.

Married to Engel (Angel) Helmich (or var) about 1840 in Germany. She is said to be of Westphalia.

Daughter Elisabeth AUE b Nov 1843 in 'Hannover'. Sometimes I have found 1844.

Immigrated to MO 1844-45 (age would be about 35 years) and settled in St Paul, St Charles Co. MO. Have not found passenger list.

1850 Census MO,St Charles, ED dist 78, listed as Engelbert Hour age 40, Angel age 35, Elisabeth age 7, and Sophia 1

1850-52 Engel died, no death record.

1858 he moved to Mankato, MN, USA with his family, died in 1870 at age 60.

I have had some research done in Catholic Church records in Germany (Bavenstadt, Dinkler-Bettmar, Einum, Dingelbe, Lambspringe, and the town of Hildesheim) but he was not located. I am assuming he was Catholic as he raised his children in that faith but wonder why he wasn't very active in the church in MN. The history of the church there (1899) has no mention of him and the only record at the church is the removal of his body from the old cemetery to the new one. No funeral home at that time and no obituary in the local papers. I did find his will (no mention of birthplace) and no probate records. Only reference to nativity is "Hannover" (Kingdom of), Germany, Prussia. Request for naturalization in 1848 says Prussia. Have found no siblings for him.

I have tried the St Charles Genealogical Society, and a Genie Angel searched at the St Charles Historical Society for me. My hope is to find Engelbert's place of birth in Germany. My grandmother's (Sophia AUE Rausch b MO.) husband was from the Rhineland and I am sure they must have discussed their origins but he forgot to leave a note.

I went to (http://famlit.genealogy.net) "Volltextsuche" which listed 10 possible sources for AUE in German. (It showed 13 hits but I could not get to the other 3. How is this done?) I know some of the items refer to location Aue. (What does Golden Aue refer to?) How does one access these sources? My understanding of German is mostly through the dictionary. I would greatly appreciate any help in finding my great-grandfather (who evidently does not want to be found).

Also, what is the correct usage of the spellings of Hannover and Hanover?

Thank you for any help on this family.

Carol Zabel

Hi Carol,

I went to (http://famlit.genealogy.net) "Volltextsuche" which listed 10 possible sources for AUE in German. (It showed 13 hits but I could not get to the other 3. How is this done?)

It says "Angezeigt wird Titel 1 bis 10"
below that:
"Nächste Seite der Ergebnismenge" means "next page of the result"

and "Letzte Seite der Ergebnismenge" means "last page of the result"

Below the results you have "Alle Titel der Ergebnismenge anzeigen" means

"show all hits of the result"

Also, what is the correct usage of the spellings of Hannover and Hanover?

with nn

http://www.hannover.de/english/language/sprachve/ha_basic.htm

Regards,
Eric (Dudler)

Carol,

By chance I know that an AUE family is living near Borsum (Hildesheim Area).
But I don't remember the details.
End of the month I am in the Hildesheim area, and most likely I am visiting
the catholic archive - but I can't guarantee that.
If I find something interesting I'll mail you the details.

Best regards
Ralf