Emigration to U. S

I have been searching for about 10 years to find the emigration records of 3 families (we think related) the last names are Buehne, Middeke and Hinkamp. They all lived together for a year in Clinton County Illinois near Germantown. They were from the Ankum area. I have the Buehne family history in Germany and in the U.S. but I can't connect them with ship records. Family stories say they came thru New Orleans sometime between 1838 and 1842. When I was in Germany last year I went to the archives, etc. and found no records of any of these families. Where else could the records be? Where are the records from the Ships agents? Thanks for any help you can give Pat Huck

Pat,
     I do believe that there are a number of New Orleans shiplists missing.
I surely can't find some of my people and I'm quite sure that they came that
way. There is a website that is about New Orleans passenger lists:

http://home.att.net/~wee-monster/neworleans.html

Some have been indexed and you can get the films for that through
National Archives centers or the LDS or you can pay for the information
through that site above. There is an index on that site for the years of
1851- 1852.

Barbara

Hi Pat

About the right arrival date. Name match? Good hunting

Gary Stoltman
Mercerville, NJ

Baltimore Passenger and Immigration Lists, 1820-1872

Name: Ernestine Buehne
                  Arrival Date: 06 Jul 1842
                  Port of Departure: Bremen
                  Ship: Rebecca
                  Port of Arrival: Baltimore
                  Place of Origin: Biskernhen
                  National Archives' Series Number: M255
                  Microfilm Roll Number: 3
                  List Number: 31
                  Destination: Louisville

The microfilms of the passenger lists of New Orleans the have some gaps, therefore you should check the quartely list of New Orleans, there I found my Honkomp family January 1844.
Werner Honkomp

Not to cast a gloomy spell here but you may never find them. Your chances realistically for that time period are probably 50/50 (60/40?) at best. New Orleans port arrivals, like every other port, are not without omissions and gaps and lost ledgers. It is often a more matter of luck than anything else in the end. Your chances of "connecting" always improve with time (with more recent arrivals). There is not a plentitude of indexes for the period you cited unfortunately. I assume you have confirmed their presence stateside via the 1840 or 1850 census, correct? Also try ALL family members who may have 'jumped the pond' in the 1900 + 1910 censuses (assuming some lived that long). Those censuses spell out this kind of information in greater detail!

You may to expand your searches once you've hit the wall. Perhaps the family (or some members of it) came in through a different embarkation point than family lore suggests. Or via an indirect route, like England. In the end you may have to try arrival ports like New York, Boston, Baltimore, Philadelphia, etc. (as applicable). You could also attempt to locate early family members' naturalization papers on the US side, which might produce additional clues. These records can also be frustrating to locate, but the search is invariably worth it when they (any) are uncovered. Also check local histories of the area(s) they first settled in for immigration patterns or bio sketches. Suffice to say, be prepared to dive deep and dive often. I've been at this game longer than I care to remember (started in my teens), and I have YET to find a some of them. But don't quit trying!

Jb

PS. Try to remember to NOTE everything you search (or have searched) along these lines, regardless of results. Nothing like going over the same old ground time and again, only to ultimately realize you've been there before.

Dear List,
Lieb List,

This is link to Texas Seaport Museum which includes Galveston Immigrant Database.

Dieses ist Link zum Texas Seehafen-Museum, das Galveston Immigrant-Datenbank einschlie�t.

http://www.tsm-elissa.org/immigration-main.htm

BarbieLew