1. Burgdorf is a common name in Hildesheim and the region around Hildesheim.
2. It is true, there was (is) a country district Hildesheim. It was called
3. Hildesheim had and has some protestantic churches. The most famous and
well known is the Michaelis church. But there are also some others (e.g.
Lamberti, St. Andreas). What churches do you have checked to find Julius
4. In case of a birth in one of the villages of the county district it will
be a very hard search to find it. In this case you should select all the
evangelical villages around Hildesheim and then test it! Do you know what it
is, a sisiphus-work? A work that will never end!
5. There was no civil registration in Hildesheim around 1835.
Due to this, first of all you should be sure that he is not born in the town
Hildesheim. Ask the professional genealogist whether he checked all churches
with no exception within the city and ask him, to name the churches.
I am searching for the birthplace, baptismal location, etc of my
Julis Wilhelm Burgdorf. He states on a document he attested to in New
that he was born 'in Hildesheim in Hanover', about 1825.
A search by a professional genealogist in Germany of both Catholic and
Evangelical church records in the city of Hildesheim was fruitless.
This researcher told me that Hildesheim can refer to a 'territory'
as well as the city. I understand this to be similar to a county
or state in the US. and that all towns, villages in that 'territory
are possible targets of my search. It occurs to me that I need
access to a map of the Hildesheim 'territory' so that I can identify them