BRUNS - a glimmer of truth

To Cheryl: I, too, am from BRUNS Abstamm. Yes, it is the most common name in Niedersachsen and one of the most ancient.
The name is believed to have originated with Wittekind and Bruno - Saxon heroes of the 8th Cent who fought against Charlemagne - both of whom had sons and grandsons named Bruno. BRUNS is a contraction of Brunos-son. There was (is) a fortress from that period near the village of Heemsen called Brunsburg - nothing more than double earthworks and a palisade. From there they apparently spread out - one branch west of the Weser into the area of Kreis Hoya - Hoya, Vilsen, Asendorf and Bucken - the other to the east to the area of Celle and Braunschweig. Yes, Braunschweig was originally called Bruns-wik, wik being a Viking word for market or trading place. The western branch remained largely peasants and small village artisans. The eastern branch - some of them - became Grafs (Counts) - no dukes that I know of- in that area. There is also a similar fortress called the Brunonenburg in Alten Celle from the 10th cent. And one of them actually became Holy Roman Emperor for a ti
me. I would say it would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to trace your ancestry to one of these.
As far as the 'von' is concerned, I have never come across a Von Bruns in all my extensive research. I agree with whoever said it probably indicated the place they came from rather than nobility. Although there are several places with similar names, I believe it more likely that it merely indicated the farm or piece of land they belonged to. You will also find it as 'zu Bruns'. I have a couple of those in my early line, which indicated who they belonged to or where before the serfs were freed.
I hope this gives you a little glimmer of the truth you are seeking. Family stories often grow with the telling. I'm sorry I can't help you beyond that as my Bruns were all Lutheran, not Catholic. Jane

Jane Swan
jeswansong@earthlink.net
Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.

As far as the 'von' is concerned, I have never come across

a Von Bruns

in all my extensive research. I agree with whoever said it probably
indicated the place they came from rather than nobility.

Franz von Hofmeister studied in Tübingen, Berlin, and Halle,
in particular as a pupil of von Bruns. He received his doctorate
in 1890 in Tübingen and then was successively assistant to
the pathologist Karl Joseph Eberth (1835-1926), the
gynaecologist Rudolf Kaltenbach (1842-1893), and finally at
the surgical clinic in Tübingen under Paul von Bruns (1846-
1916). He was habilitated for surgery in Tübingen in 1894, in
1898 became extraordinary professor and in 1899 received a
teaching assignment. From 1903 he was head of the surgical
department of the Karl-Olga-Krankenhaus, from 1907 he held
the same position at the Ludwig-Spital.

FRFred & Marlies Rump
730 5th St. NW
Naples, FL 34120-2029
239-775-7838 239-269-4781(cell)
FredRump@earthlink.net

Fred Rump schrieb:

... and finally at the surgical clinic in T�bingen under Paul von Bruns (1846-
1916). ...

Additionally I find in Meyers Handlexikon from 1921:

"Bruns, 1)Paul v., Chirurg, T�b., 1812 - 83, f�rderte die Kehlkopfoperationen. 2)
Karl Georg, romanist, Berlin 1816 -80; "Recht des Besitzes im Mittelalter und in
der Gegenwart"; "Fontes juris Romani antiqui", 3) Ernst Heinr., Astronom,
Leipzig, 1848 -19, arb. �ber St�rungstheorie; "Figur der Erde","Wahrscheinlichs-
keitsrechnung"."

No 1) seems to be the same, although there are some differences concerning tthe
living dates. Modern Lexika don't show these people anymore, so I gave the two
more for the other BRUNS-researcher. An existing similarity is given in the name
of VONBRUNN, which appears only in a small Bavarian region around Bamberg,
Burgkunstadt and Kulmbach.

Good Luck Hans Peter Albers, Bienenb�ttel

He was habilitated for surgery in T�bingen in 1894, in